Translate

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Any Day Now, I Shall Be Released

I like to walk in cities, feel the electricity coming up through my feet, look at the people, at the buildings. If I lived in San Francisco, and wasn't on these stupid crutches, I probably would have gone over to City Lights Bookstore today. Or maybe not, but I could have. The last time I was in SF I walked over there with J, or maybe R, and there is just not enough time to spend browsing in that store. Or walking in that city. Or any city, for that matter. I just love walking in cities.

I got a card yesterday from a friend of mine who I haven't seen or heard from in a very long time. What a delight that was. He's living in San Francisco again, which made me wish I was there and could have spent the day walking around with him, talking politics and baseball, getting a burrito at La Cumbre, browsing through bookstores, maybe drinking some coffee, catching up.

As soon as I get off of crutches I'm going to prepare for a new chapter in my life. To begin, my next chapter will not include crutches. I may need a cane for awhile -- can't decide if that's really old-lady, like do I need to buy a flowered rayon house dress and orthopedic shoes and supp-hose, dye my hair blue if I get a cane, learn to bake pies -- or maybe it will be really cool, now that I've exhausted the "my chute didn't open" line I could come up with a new one: my horse refused to take the last jump, and threw me instead. Something like that.

If I was artistic, I could paint little martini glasses with plastic stirers with cupie dolls on top all over the cane, and pretend that I'm carrying the cane because it's sophisticated, or maybe I tripped on my way out of some fabulous party. The cane would be temporary, and a real improvement over the crutches. But the fact is I want to be done with all of it. I want my life back!

They say every woman needs protection
They say every woman must fall
Still I swear I see my reflection
Somewhere so far above the Wall

I see my light come shining
From the West unto the East
Any day now, any day now
I shall be released

One more week of PT, then to the doctor on 9/28. I hope the doctor says I'm completely cured. Short of that, at least let me get off of these crutches. Let me drive. Release me from my confinement. I promise I'll be good. Any day now, any day now, I shall be released.


No comments:

Post a Comment