Translate

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Now And Then, There's A Fool Such As I

This is such a joyful day. I find myself feeling sheepish at the uncontained elation I feel at saying the words: President Barack Obama. My President. Our President.

Oh Joy, Rapture, the Wicked Witch is Dead!

Bush and Cheney are gone, fled the capital, maybe fled the country. Of course they left us with a disaster of a nation, wars, a devastated economy, but I don't care as long as they are gone. (Until we arrest and try them, throw them in prison for international war crimes.)

It isn't just that President Barack Obama is black, although that is undeniably a part of the celebration. But it's more than that. It is as if by him becoming president, beating the odds, prevailing over the white men and white connected woman who ran against him, he stood for everyone who is not a part of the wealthy elite in this country, all the people who are excluded, the outsiders, those who toil without voice or recognition.

When I see Michelle Obama, this athletic woman, not just a decoration, healthy instead of skeletal or anorexic as is the fashion of the wives of the powerful, a proudly strong woman holding up her family as one of the pillars, I could sing. Herself a Harvard Law graduate, an attorney.

And when they introduced Vice President (Joe) and Doctor (Jill) Biden I almost danced. Doctor Biden. Yes, a woman accomplished in her own right, someone who will speak about more than fashion and decoration. It makes me think so well of these two men that they chose such obviously strong and intelligent women to share their lives.

There are thousands of men and women in this country who gained entrance to graduate and professional schools about 30 years ago as the result of a series of lawsuits and the dedication of thousands of citizens who pushed for access. But the fact is that once the women and the non-whites leave school, even if they leave top of their class, they still find the doors to opportunity largely shut in their faces. The university professors remain mostly white male. Committees of white males "evaluate" candidates and choose other white males to join the teaching staff. Women and minorities are oddly found lacking, even if their credentials and qualifications are better.

The same is true in business, law, medicine. You name it. And outside the professions, women continue to be excluded from the better paying jobs. Regardless of education or experience, women continue to be paid only 70 cents for every dollar paid to men. Ask men how well they would be doing if someone took 30% of their earnings for their entire working life. It needs to change. For blacks, of course, it's even worse. As long as white men keep a lock on the power and money, that will never change.

So President Obama stands for something more than just racial progress. He stands for human progress. He makes me think of a country that may be capable of moving towards real inclusion of everyone. So I'm overwhelmed with emotion, elation, joy. And feel foolish at the same time knowing that tomorrow we will all wake up to the same troubles.

I keep thinking of the lyrics to an old song: "Pardon me if I'm sentimental .... Now and then, there's a fool such as I." Once in awhile, we should all abandon our caution and just take joy in the occasional moments when we got it right. Today is one of them. Anything is possible. Good may triumph after all.

"Now and then there's a fool such as I"

Pardon me, if I’m sentimental
When we say goodbye
Don't be angry with me should I cry
When you're gone, yet I’ll dream
A little dream as years go by
Now and then there's a fool such as I

Now and then there's a fool such as I am over you
You taught me how to love
And now you say that we are through
I'm a fool, but I’ll love you dear
Until the day I die

Now and then there's a fool such as I
Now and then there's a fool such as I am over you
You taught me how to love
And now you say that we are through

I'm a fool, but I’ll love you dear
Until the day I die
Now and then there's a fool such as I
Now and then there's a fool such as I
Now and then there's a fool such as I

No comments:

Post a Comment